Sunday 25 September 2011

Naming Characters

There is something, when it comes to writing a story or a novel, which is constantly a massive deal for me. Plot and story lines are fine; I have my imagination for that. Scenes and settings, fine, imagination comes to the rescue once again.

But character names? Nuh-uh. They just don't work for me. I can't do it. I'm rubbish at it. That's all there is to it. I'm completely rubbish at it.

The thing is, I don't want a character's name to sound like I chose it for that particular character. Does that make sense?

Take your average antagonist, for example. My antagonist for my NaNo is EXTREMELY evil. Disgustingly evil. And there are names around that have been linked with evil characters for years; Vincent, Drake, Claudius, Eli, they're all "evil" names. So I don't want a name like that, because.. well.. it's cliche really, isn't it?

That said, I don't want a normal name for my character, despite the fact he is just... a human being. Named by some unsuspecting parents. Therefore, something like... David, or Darren, or Tom, or James would be perfect. But they don't sound very evil, do they?

And that's the problem I face. I don't want an evil sounding name, but I do. What the hell? There has to be some kind of compromise, surely?

But now I think about it, maybe a "normal" name is exactly what he needs. After all, like I said, he was at some point just a normal happy baby, named by his parents, and they'd choose a relatively normal name, wouldn't they? Also, having a "normal" name may make him seem even scarier - for instance, if he was called David, and you read all the horrific things he does, that might make you think "I guess any person is capable of these things then". When you've got an "evil" name, it's expected that you're evil, isn't it?

You see, in my mind, protagonists can be called anything. You can give them a name like Robert and it seems right because they're not evil, you know? They're just a normal person. But an antagonist is never a normal person, are they?

It's so confusing. I'm forever amazed by my inability to just choose a name.

I suppose I have bigger things to worry about right now, such as... What the hell is my story actually going to be about? I have a general idea, but I don't have a climax, a clash, a conflict. And conflict is what makes a novel, a novel. And I don't have a conflict right now, therefore I don't have a novel. So I should probably be working on that.

But here I am. Procrastinating on my blog. Fabulous.

3 comments:

Anna Scott Graham said...

Excellent point, especially in how that protagonist wasn't born evil. With names, I use various themes at times, but not necessarily with deep meanings; I named a trio of brothers for the guys in one of my fave bands. But at times inspiration strikes; I used seasons for a trio of sisters (all but winter), and their brother is Forest, all chafing against those hippie-style monikers.

Like you, I try to avoid cliches because it's too easy. But once I needed a sleazeball name, and a writing buddy gave me a great one. Just a matter of the mystery of writing!

Good luck with NaNo! It's what made me lose my lazy writing mood. Still time to procrastinate for another week or ten or fifteen or so days. That conflict will hit, fear not!

Panda Smith said...

Thanks for the encouraging words :) I sat up all night trying to find the 'perfect' name for my Mr. Evil.... still no joy!

And good luck to you too! :)

Eryn Kurowski said...

I am right there with you. I can't pick out names for my characters if my life depended on it. But a name means A LOT! It gives your character life and personality.

Post a Comment